Communities and individuals are better able to recover from natural disasters, such as bushfires, if the local community is strong, connected and well-supported.
This is achieved by dedicated programs to strengthen local capacity and capability, placing a greater emphasis on community engagement, and ensuring a better understanding of the diversity, needs, strengths and vulnerabilities within communities
With support from the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation, the VCOSS Bushfire Recovery Project is engaging community organisations and individuals in those areas of Victoria affected by the 2019-20 bushfires, to:
- Build the capacity of community and social sector organisations to support their communities’ resilience and recovery
- Advocate for the recovery needs of community organisations and vulnerable people impacted by bushfires
- Contribute to effective current and future emergency and disaster recovery planning.
The project is being rolled out in the six streams listed below.
The best way to keep up to date with this project is to receive our dedicated Disaster Recovery Bulletins
Stream 1. Community organisations in recovery
Perspectives from the frontline
VCOSS Bushfire Recovery Project Consultation Report
This report explores the role of community organisations in bushfire recovery. It details barriers and opportunities for improved processes and approaches.
Stream 2. Building the capacity of community organisations in recovery
We are providing emergency and disaster recovery advice and information for community organisations through an ongoing series of Disaster Recovery Conversations.
Each session is focused on a different cohort of people.
Sign up to our regular newsletter to hear about the next event.
Stream 3. What community organisations say about their role
We are gathering a range of recovery initiatives that highlight the central role of community organisations as champions of place-based community led bushfire recover.
Stream 4. Evaluating community organisations
We are developing a Bushfire Recovery Outcomes Framework for Community Organisations to help identify and measure their contribution to bushfire recovery.
Stream 5. Community-led resilience
We are working with key partners on a new collaboration to support and enable communities to lead their own resilience efforts.
Stream 6. Clarifying who does what
Who’s who and what do they do?
A stakeholder guide for community organisations
This guide helps community organisations understand where they fit in the emergency management landscape and how to explore collaborative opportunities going forward.
Disaster Recovery Bulletins
- And we’re away…
- Disaster Anniversaries
- Children and young people in disaster recovery
- Older people in disaster recovery
- Culturally and linguistically diverse communities in disaster recovery
- Disability inclusive disaster response and recovery
- Caring for yourself and your staff during recovery
- The role of arts and creativity in disaster recovery
- Gender and disaster recovery
- Community-led disaster resilience
- Guiding and measuring
- Long term recovery