Getting non-licensed electricity provider registration right Cost of Living

Getting non-licensed electricity provider registration right

VCOSS response to registration guideline for non-licensed electricity providers.

In Victoria, most electricity is provided by businesses licensed by the ESC.

However, some electricity is provided under non-licensed arrangements such as embedded networks, in caravan and residential parks, apartment buildings, retirement villages and other types of housing.

Some of the most vulnerable Victorians receive electricity from non-licensed providers, including people on low incomes living in caravan parks who cannot afford other forms of private housing or access social housing.

It is therefore important the register contains an appropriate level of detail that allows people to identify and contact their electricity provider in order to obtain information, resolve problems and enforce their rights, including in situations of financial hardship.